Visit Homepage
Press "Enter" to skip to content

KKΨ & TBΣ NatCon ’17

85Days 11Hours 37Min. 21Sec.

Announcements

If you would like to submit photographs, send them to the Member-at-Large or Vice President of Special Projects. See the Contact Us page for contact information.

Click here to sign in or register.

Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo

Iota Pi
Founding Date: April 5, 1992
Officers:
President – Michaelynn Joy Welther
Vice President – Katelyn Meliana Dietz
Recording Secretary – Lauren Becker
Treasurer – Mark Thomas Williams
Correspondence Secretary – David Benjamin Horwitz
Historian – Michael Langberg
Alumni Secretary – Teresa Marcial

Updated: January 29, 2017

Contact Information
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407

Snapchat: iotapi.cp
About:
Cal Poly was established in 1901 when Governor Henry T. Gage signed the California Polytechnic School Bill. The California Polytechnic School was built adjacent to San Luis Obispo and held its first classes on September 30, 1903, offering secondary (high school) courses of study. The first incoming class was 20 students. The school continued to grow steadily, except during a period from the mid 1910s to the early 1920s when World War I led to drops in enrollment and drastic budget cuts forced fewer class offerings. In 1924, Cal Poly was placed under the control of the California State Board of Education. In 1933, the Board of Education changed Cal Poly into a two year technical and vocational school. The institution began to offer Bachelor of Arts degrees in 1940, and was renamed the California State Polytechnic College in 1947 to better reflect its higher education offerings. In 1960, control of Cal Poly and all other state colleges was transferred from the State Board of Education to an independent Board of Trustees, which later became the California State University system. The college was authorized to offer Master of Science degrees in 1967. From 1967 to 1970, the school’s curriculum was reorganized into different units (such as the School of Science and Math, the School of Agriculture and Natural Resources, and the School of Architecture, which was created in 1968). Cal Poly’s FM radio station, KCPR, also began as a senior project in 1968. The state legislature changed the school’s official name again in 1971 to California Polytechnic State University.

Comments are closed.